Music in her hair. (28x30cm) Collage, watercolour, and acrylic on heavy brown paper. The painting on the top was not quite finished, but I wanted to see what it looked like photographed. The one on the bottom is finished. I started by playing around with some torn pages from an old church hymnal, and gluing a few torn pieces haphazardly onto a pre-prepared page. Then I found a couple of other small papers to add interest. Next I penciled in a rough girl shape, and with the music theme still on my mind, and because I seem to have devoted so many hours over past weeks with my daughters music, I thought of the phrase, 'music in her hair', and wondered what the torn pieces of music flowing as if hair would look like. This is the result. I will probably add some distressing ink, and then glue on the words.
You know, overall, I am pleased with the result. Sure there are things I would change, I know I need to work on my faces, and I think if I had the eyes focusing on something, the effect would be better... but this was a completely unplanned, and off the cuff. I think I'll probably do another.
In my attempts to do a little art every day I am forcing myself to focus, to experiment; and int he process I am learning something new everytime I pick up a paint brush, pencil, or glue something down.